Origin: Known as Naticook until 1729 when the land was granted as Brenton’s Farm to William Brenton, Governor of Rhode Island and son-in-law to Governor Cranston. Following Brenton’s death in 1749, the land was granted to new settlers, and named in honor of George Henry Lee, Earl of Litchfield. Litchfield was the opposite landing-site of Thornton’s Ferry, originating across the Merrimack River in the town of Merrimack.
Population, Year of the First Census Taken: 357 residents in 1790
Population Trends: Litchfield had the second highest percent increase in population over fifty years, growing more than 17 times larger. Decennial growth rates ranged from a 33 percent increase between both 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 to a 192 percent increase between 1970-1980. Litchfield’s population increased by a total of 6,933 residents, going from 427 in 1950 to 7,360 residents in 2000. The 2003 Census estimate for Litchfield was 7,975 residents, which ranked 37th among New Hampshire’s incorporated cities and towns.
Population Density, 2003: 509.5 persons per square mile of land area. Litchfield contains 14.9 square miles of land area and 0.4 square miles of inland water area.